White Carpet Bavarian Weiss

A while ago I brewed a Bavarian Wheat Beer. I had it in a pressure barrel which was acting as a secondary. I decided to check the beer and found that the newspaper on which the barrel was resting was soaked as was the carpet. The barrel was leaking! This barrel had leaked before but at that time I had thought it was the seals, this time the seals were perfect. So an emergency bottling was performed which I wasn't in the mood for. I did some tests and found the barrel is actually leaking out the bottom.
So I've tasted the now named White Carpet beer. I'm not massively impressed. It tastes of wheat beer alright but it's maybe a bit thin. Also due to the emergency bottling I think I didn't put enough sugar in so it's under carbonated. I think this may be why it doesn't taste as nice as it should as I expect wheat beers to be carbonated. I think it may be a bit oxidized due to air getting in while the beer leaked out.

4 Responses to "White Carpet Bavarian Weiss" (Leave A Comment)

Iamreddave says
August 28, 2008 at 5:10 AM

The three bottles I had last night were barely palatable. You would not like it so don't ask her for some.

I once blew a seal. How do you stop that happening?

The Beer Nut says
August 29, 2008 at 7:01 AM

Call the ISPCA.

Thomas says
August 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

I've had a few leaking barrels too. My study smelled of stout for weeks after a leak onto the carpet. I've no doubt it'll happen again so I don't leave barrels on carpet any more.

Barry M says
September 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM

I once had a leaking plastic carboy up on a shelf above my stereo and CD collection. It destroyed the inlays of dozens of CDs. Luckily it was filled with water, but what a stupid place to put it! :) Never again!

I've had one slow leak when there was beer involved, and that just meant an emergency secondary, and luckily it had been left on a table.